7/13/2007

Insurance Woes

I'm sick of waiting to hear about my coverage for a couple of blood tests. I would just go ahead and pay for them, except that the blood clotting test costs $3,000. The APA Panel (for immune disease) only cost a mere $180. My doctor's office put in the request to my insurance company, so I am in a wait mode.

Being bored with the wait, I called my insurance company to seek if I could gleam any information about coverage. I got the usual - we can't tell you anything speech. It is my insurance, why can't they tell me if I am covered and for how much? After more probing, I learned that they never received the request from my doctor's office. I called my doctor's office to get them to send the information again. Once again, I asked if they requested the dollar amount of the coverage. Last time, I was told that they did ask, but I learned that they are only expecting a Yes/No response.

I had to convince the billing person to ASK for the dollar amount of coverage. She just couldn't get it until I explained how my last test was "covered", but the charges were $1,200 over the acceptable charge. Hopefully, I will get this information soon.

My tooth implant surgery will be next week, so I will get that out of the way. Now, if I can just get my answers for the blood tests I can be on the road for my next cycle.

No comments: